Nearly 40% of consumers say that they’ll quickly navigate away from a website with a poor overall design.
This loss of web traffic doesn’t just hurt your bottom line. It also hurts your website’s overall SEO score. The consequences of a low SEO score are much more long-term than the loss of a potential sale or newsletter subscriber.
Especially if you’ve worked hard to make it to the first page of Google, you don’t want poor web design to be the reason you end up back behind your competitors in the search engine rankings again.
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the link between SEO and web design.
We’ll also tell you where you can find expert Santa Cruz web design services that will encourage more people to interact with your site for longer periods of time.
Dwell Time: What It Is, Why It Matters
To fully understand the link between SEO and web design, you first need to be able to grasp the concept of dwell time.
In a nutshell, this is the average amount of time that a user spends on your website. The longer your website’s overall dwell time, the higher you’ll rank in the search engine result pages (or SERPs for short.)
This is because Google and other search engines understand that sites with a higher dwell time likely offer more useful information to consumers. Sites with a good dwell time are also likely easier to navigate than those with a lower score.
In other words?
Don’t try to “game the system” of SEO by making site visitors go digging around through various links and menu options to find the pages they’re looking for. All that will end up doing is causing frustrated users to click away faster.
And every time a user clicks away from your website in just a few seconds?
Your overall SEO score is penalized.
Instead, focus on intuitive navigation and design that actually encourages them to interact with your website.
. . .
Your Site’s Loading Speed Matters
More than half of online consumers say that they’ll immediately click away from a website if it takes longer than three seconds to completely load. And this happens when you do not have a good web hosting service at your disposal. You can try out Delhi Web registration in case you are looking for a better hosting service to reduce the loading speed of your website.
This is true for both desktop computer users, as well as for those accessing the Internet on a mobile device.
The takeaway here?
Your website’s speed matters much more than you think when it comes to your web design SEO strategy.
So, what can you do to ensure that your website loads as quickly and completely as possible? First of all, take a hard look at the plugins you’re using on your website. Are all of them really necessary, or are there a few that you can get rid of?
Eliminating plugins that aren’t working to improve the visitor experience in a tangible way aren’t doing anything but — quite literally — slowing you down.
Always get rid of as many autoplay features and pop-up ads as is possible.
First of all, these are incredibly irritating to site visitors. But more importantly, Google’s Algorithm also penalizes sites that use an excessive number of pop-ups.
Instead, opt for a clean website design that also keeps your SEO score in good standing, and cut out the pop-ups.
Finally, enable browser caching on your website. This helps to ensure that, when visitors come back to your site again in the future, it will load even faster than it did the first time they visited it.
. . .
Other Ways to Improve Your Website Design
Let’s quickly go over a few other ways that you can boost your overall website design — and raise your SEO score in the process.
First of all, make sure that you include your company’s contact information on each page of your website. Remember that not everyone will end up on your site’s homepage. You need to be certain it’s easy for them to contact you.
Look into current design trends, like animated video, including drone photography on your homepage, and even creating brief product videos. All of these small details encourage people to stay a while longer.
Always ensure that, in addition to your contact information, you have social media platform follow buttons on every page of your website.
Also consider categorizing your blog posts, checking them for broken links, and making old posts new again by updating their keywords.
Finally, we strongly suggest working with a Santa Cruz website design company that can help to bring your vision to life.
Even if you understand the importance of SEO website design, the truth is that Google’s Algorithm changes all the time. If you don’t have a dedicated team of professionals helping you to ensure your site’s design is consistent with Google’s standards, it can be easy to fall behind.
So, where can you go to find a web design company that’s right for you?
How Can Psychotherapists Optimize Their Therapist Website For SEO?
Optimizing a therapist’s website for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is crucial to increase its visibility on search engines and attract more potential clients. Here are essential steps to help therapists improve their website’s SEO:
- Keyword Research: Identify relevant keywords and phrases that potential clients might use to search for therapy services. Tools like Google Keyword Planner can assist in finding popular and valuable keywords in your niche.
- Quality Content: Create informative, engaging, and relevant content that addresses the needs and concerns of your target audience. Blog posts, articles, and resources that offer insights into mental health and therapy can attract organic traffic.
- On-Page Optimization: Optimize each page for a specific keyword or topic. Use the target keyword naturally in the page title, headings, meta descriptions, and throughout the content. Ensure that the content is well-structured and easy to read.
- Mobile Optimization: Websites for therapists need to be mobile-friendly, as Google prioritizes mobile-responsive sites. A responsive design ensures a positive user experience on smartphones and tablets.
- Page Speed: Improve your website’s loading speed. Google considers page speed a ranking factor, and a slow site can deter users. Compress images, enable browser caching, and minimize unnecessary scripts to enhance speed.
- Local SEO: For therapists with physical offices, optimize your website for local SEO. Create a Google My Business profile, include your office location, contact information, and office hours. Encourage clients to leave reviews.
- Backlinks: Earn high-quality backlinks from reputable sources. Guest posting on mental health or therapy-related websites, collaborating with local businesses, or creating valuable resources that others want to link to can help.
- User Experience: Prioritize user experience and site navigation. An intuitive layout, clear calls to action, and easy access to information can keep visitors engaged and reduce bounce rates.
- Schema Markup: Implement schema markup to provide search engines with structured data about your therapy practice. This can enhance the visibility of your site in search results.
- Regular Updates: Keep your website fresh with regular updates and new content. Consistency in publishing blog posts or articles can improve your site’s authority and ranking.
- Analytics and Monitoring: Use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to monitor your website’s performance. Analyze user behavior, track keyword rankings, and make data-driven improvements.
- Social Media Integration: Share your content on social media platforms to increase visibility and engagement. Social signals can indirectly influence your SEO ranking.
Remember that SEO is an ongoing process, and results may take time. Regularly evaluate and adjust your strategies based on performance data and algorithm updates to improve your therapist website’s SEO and attract more clients.
. . .
Work with a Professional Santa Cruz Web Design Company
We hope that this post has helped you to better understand the link between SEO and website design.
Remember to focus on design tactics that aim to speed up your loading time and increase your overall dwell time. Above all, ensure that your design is consistent with your branding strategy, engaging, and easy to navigate.
Looking to work with an experienced Santa Cruz web design company — one that can also help you with digital marketing and business coaching?
If so, then get in touch with us today to get started on making your website the best it can be.